Professor of Chemistry, Emeritus
B.A. (Chemistry) 1957, College of Wooster
M.A. (Chemistry) 1960, University of North Carolina
Ph.D. (Chemistry) 1967, University of New Hampshire
Teaching Interests: Organic Chemistry, General Chemistry
Research Interests: Synthesis and reactivity of organostannanes,
especially vinylstannanes, organotin hydrides and organotin anions; promotion of organic
reactions by ultrasound. Detailed descriptions of current
research projects are available.
- John C. Cochran, Kevin L. Caran*, Elizabeth A. Pierz*, and David M.
Miller*, "Kinetics of the Uncatalyzed Hydrostannation of Diethyl
Acetylenedicarboxylate," Synth. React. Inorg. Met.-Org. Chem. 33(5),
- John C. Cochran, Vicki Prindle*, Heather A.
Young*, Mark H. Kumar*, Samson Tom*, Nicholas D. K. Petraco*, Clare Mohoro*,
and Brenden Kelley*, “Alkyl- and Acyl-Substituted Vinylstannanes:
Synthesis and Reactivity in Electrophilic Substitution Reactions,” Synth.
React. Inorg. Met.-Org. Chem. 32, 885 (2002)
- Nicholas D. K. Petraco*, David A. Modarelli, and
John C. Cochran, “The Structure of the Intermediate Radical in the
Hydrostannation of Phenylacetylene.”Synth. React. Inorg. Met.-Org. Chem. 31, 757, (2001)
C. Cochran and Michael L. Neidig,* “CUR, NCUR and a Student perspective on
a National Research Conference,” J. Chem. Educ. 7,
- Martin Gabriele*, Henry G. Kuivila, and John C. Cochran, "Catalysis of the
Diels-Alder Reaction by Organotin Halides, Main Group Metal Chem. 21,
- John C. Cochran, Kolbjorn Hagan, Quang Shen, Samson Tom*, Marit Traettiberg and
Christopher Wells*, "On the Planarity of Styrene and Its Derivatives: The Molecular
Structures of Styrene and (Z)-b-Bromostyrene as Determined by ab
Initio Calculations and Gas-Phase Electron Diffraction," J. Mol. Struct.
413-414, 313 (1997).
- John C. Cochran, Susan R. Friedman* and John P. Frazier*, "Synthesis of Disulfides
from the Palladium(0)-Catalyzed Reactions of Sulfenyl Halides and Organostannanes," J.
Org. Chem. 61, 1533 (1996).
- Rebecca J. Greenwald*, Samson Tom*, William Zucconi* and John C. Cochran,
"Carbon-Tin Vibrational Frequencies in Substituted Vinylstannanes," Main
Group Metal Chemistry 17, 435 (1994).
- John C. Cochran, Harmony K. Phillips*, Samson Tom*, Alexander R. Hurd* and Brian S.
Bronk*, "Phenyl-Substituted Vinylstannanes: Synthesis and Reactivity in Electrophilic
Substitution Reactions," Organometallics 13, 947 (1994).
- Quang Shen, Shannon Rhodes* and John C. Cochran, "Molecular Structure and
Conformation of Cyclohexysilane as Determined by Gas-Phase Electron Diffraction," Organometallics
11, 485 (1992).
Asterisks indicate undergraduate student co-authors who conducted their research in
collaboration with a faculty member at Colgate.
Top of Page - Previous Page
- Chemistry Home Page - Colgate
||Design: Al Rehm and Roger S. Rowlett
Updated May 13, 2008
Questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
© 1997 Colgate University. All Rights Reserved.